We are already seeing the impacts of climate change in Rhode Island through:
Greening your electricity with local, renewable energy is one of the single most effective actions you can take to support clean energy in Rhode Island and combat climate change.
As an Audubon member you have opted to conserve and protect Rhode Island's natural resources. By teaming up with People’s Power & Light, Audubon Society of RI is able to offer you the opportunity to get your electricity from local renewable resources. It's a simple step with a huge impact.
from one of two renewable energy mix options.
in just 5 minutes online or via phone. All you need is your electricity account number.
PAY YOUR ELECTRIC BILL
as normal. You pay a few cents extra per kWh for renewable energy.
Support renewable energy sources in our back yard.
Greening your electricity with People's Power & Light adds a small premium to your electric bill. For most households, it only adds $15-20 per month or 45-74 cents per day. Your total payments toward New England GreenStart and New England Wind are 100% federally tax-deductible.
Your rate per kWh is determined by the renewable energy option you choose. You can select from two renewable energy options, which differ in price and content:
|MIX||100% wind power from RI and MA wind turbines (New)||MIX||30% RI and MA wind, solar, new low-impact hydro and anaerobic digester gas (New)
|RATE||3.8 cents/kWh in addition to your normal electric bill||RATE||2.2 cents/kWh in addition to your normal electric bill|
|TAX BENEFIT||Your total payments toward New England Wind are 100% federally tax-deductible.||TAX BENEFIT||Your total payments toward New England GreenStart are 100% federally tax-deductible.|
|EXAMPLE||You use 600 kWh this month. You will pay $22.80 (600 x $.038) for New England Wind in addition to the existing charges on your electric bill.||EXAMPLE||You use 600 kWh this month. You will pay $13.20 (600 x $.022) for New England GreenStart in addition to the existing charges on your electric bill.|
|Choose This Option||Choose This Option|
Since the cost of greening your electricity depends on how many kilowatt-hours you consume, you can use our green power calculator to calculate what making the switch might cost you.
New England Wind is sourced from all “Rhode Island New” renewable energy generators. New generators are designated by the Rhode Island Renewable Energy Standard (RES) and qualify for the state’s renewable energy mandate. In other words, your purchase is incentivizing additional renewable energy on the power grid so you are effectively shifting the grid.
The New England GreenStart mix contains 25% New renewable energy, the purchase of which drives development of new renewable energy. The remaining 75% comes from a low-impact certified hydro power facility up in Rumford Falls, ME. The hydro is not New, so there is no regulatory market for it. Thus, it is very cheap and does not incentivize new renewable energy. However, it helps make New England GreenStart more affordable than New England Wind.
We offer New England GreenStart as a more affordable option. It enables even more Rhode Island residents to make the switch and shift our power grid. Using your electricity dollar to buy 25% additional New is a whole lot better than going with the current electricity mix!
Local renewable energy tours: /tours
Green Power Carbon Calculator: /greencalculator
Currents Newsletter online:
Greening your events: /greenevent
Green Biz Directory: /greenbiz